From a Black Man's heart

From a Black Man's Heart

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Getting pissed off

Why that title? Simple because it is something each and everyone of us get at some time or another. And if you say you haven't, think real hard and I am sure you will find a moment where you did but you never said anything about it.

As for me I get pissed of quite often but I process through it and it passes. I get pissed off when I hear about some young person commiting a crime, I get pissed off when I hear about an innocent person losing their life because of someone elses carelessness, I get pissed off listening to how our local government is putting so much energy into housing a baseball team but can't keep our houses of EDUCATION in order. I get pissed off at the carelessness the president shows when it comes to the United States.

I have been pissed since January 28th when I found out the job I was supposed to be getting fell through and when I tried to get reinstated the company I worked for (Northrop Grumman) didn't really want to reinstate me. I have been pissed because I have gone on quite a few interviews but have been turned down for the job. I am pissed because I know without a doubt I can do the job but am not getting the chance to prove it. I am pissed because the offers I get pay way much less than I am worth.

But let me tell you what pisses me off the most...when someone tries to strip you of dignity and pride. As a matter of fact that is ass-kicking material. Check it...

Shortly after it became known that the job I was supposed to be getting fell through I recieved an email (or phone call I don't remember) from a former co-worker. Now this guy and I at one time work side-by-side. We basically ran a computer lab. Although we had a really great working chemistry we differed when it came to life. Some of those differences were critical. I'll admit there were a few times I wanted just punch his teeth straight down his throat but I knew I would be less of a man if I did that. Especially if all he was doing was just running his mouth.

Now part of the contributions of our diferences came from the facts that:

1. He's white and I'm black.
2. He's in his 20's and I am in my 30's
3. And the most important one...He likes to be all over the map and I am in the cut.

That was the biggest of all things. He felt a person needed to be in everything at all times and I was like "If god wants me to be involved, he will lead me to it." See you have to try to understand that at that time my life had been changed. I was not at that point anymore where I felt I had to prove anything to anybody. He was more in the mindset of today's generation where they are in a hurry to get it as quickly as possible. As a matter of fact he has often reffered to me as being rich or shall I say under the impression I have no financial worries. The judgement was probably based upon how I dressed. But if you know me, you know I like to dress. How much stuff cost is nobody's business except my wifes.

Rich? Hell yes I am rich but not like most of you think. I am rich because I am BLESSED! I am BLESSED with a beautiful family, I am surrounded by people that others wish they had in their lives. And the truth be told we are all closer than friends, we are family. The continue to show LOVE and SUPPORT to this very day. When I am wrong they let me know. I can always call on them when I need them, and they on me when they need me. But our closest bond is our LOVE for God and all that he has BLESSED us with. Our desires to live a Godly life and spread not just the word but also the LOVE that comes with it.

He on the other hand is at that spiritual crossroad. He faith is short. He is one of the world. He feels he has to do it all. As a matter of fact he called me the other day and said "I don't know how you have managed to maintain this long without a job." I replied "It was through God's blessings" and he partially recieved that comment. But I kept on rolling.

Anyway the reason I took the offer to do the site was because I do love to watch both Boxing & Wrestling, I do have a collection of DVD's and video tapes, I do like blogging (thanks to him because he turned me on to it...I will put his site up at the end of this), and most importantly I saw an opportunity. Now it was mentioned with this was an opportunity to make money through advertisements.

The site is part of B5 Media and if you visit some of the pages you will notice various advertisements on the pages. Some pages have more than others. That is because they have been part of B5 longer. Personally I feel all of the pages should have them if they are part of B5 regardless of how long they habe been there. Now I had already posted some boxing stuff on my personal site so when it came to doing this it was just a simple transfer of post. So I was actually ready to get down with it.

Here is the promo for my site:

Jabbing and Grappling
By Aaron | Related entries in b5 Announcements

As part of our continuing ramp up with the sports channel here at b5media, it’s my job to scout out and grab some of the finest talent around to cover the sporting world. That’s why one of my first recruitments was Sean Crawford, a guy who collects boxing and wrestling videos, attends regular WWE events and hosts major pay-per-view parties that last 19 seconds when Mike Tyson fights.

It’s not a wonder that we wanted him in-house.

Which brings us to today’s launch - Jab and Grapple - a blog dedicated to boxing and wrestling news, views and reviews. Wow, where did that little bit of poetry come from?

Though I am no wrestling guru, I do remember Sting and I’m glad to know what happened to him. Can’t wait to find out more.

Welcome, Sean!


Now the truth be told THAT PROMO SUCKS!!! And by reading it would you really want to see what it was all about? Maybe browse it but I would be in no rush to go there. But if you look at some of the other promos for sites on B5 you will notice they go all out for them.

Another personal note-I think I am the ONLY black person contributing.

So here I was actually staying up late to getting information, watching videos, typing reviews just to meet the quota of 6 post a week. Being true to my commitment and wanting to make that site the best I could make it. One of the biggest things that makes a site is the numbers. I have been doing this long enough to know that and there have been some times I have been pissed off because mine are low but I keep on pushing because it is something I love to do. But in this game and especially being part of a larger network like B5 it is your numbers that get the attention of the higher ups in B5.

So my numbers were low and I was losing the motivation to continue (because that too can happen) doing it. So one day I began to research and I found a site called Youtube that had people doing vidoes and webcam recordings. So I thought...I have a webcam let's see what I can do. I recorded my predictions for the Byrd vs Klitschko fight and POW I was getting feedback. Now mind you I had been told quite a few times by different people that they do visit me sites and they enjoyed it. I have been told to keep it up and response was simple...MAKE A COMMENT.

See for me it is simple...when you make comments (even if it is a simple HELLO) that shows that people are reading. I don't go by IP addresses I go by what I see. I don't check my numbers because when I used to do IP address searches they really didn't give me enopugh information to be able to send the person that came through a THANK YOU letter for showing their support.

So now that I have gone recording predictions it is strating to get noticed. It has been around for a while and there was another person in B5 who had been doing it but the were showing recorded TV shows. Instead I was in front of the camera giving my predictions. Sort of like a local cable show. But I had to find a way to draw readers. What is so funny abouth this is I got more feedback on Youtube than I did at Jab & Grapple and still do to this day. For real the people who have responded at Youtube have really been much more supportive and that alone keeps me going. But I owe it to B5 for giving me the space and the face (talking about the page) to do it.

Now I got the higher-ups attention. He gives me a plug on his site but in a fourm for B5 members only mentions selling space behind my head. Honestly I have NO clue what he is talking about but what I do know is this: If somebody is going to pay you to advertise on the site I contribute to give me a cut. Now I don't have full control over the site but I have enough. I feel I should be compensated and am still waiting. Now rumors are this...some people are only getting checks for 20 cents and some aren't getting any checks at all. I wonder how they feel?

I feel like this...anybody who takes the time (and we really don't know what they may go through) to contribute to making a parent site like B5 come off like gold should be compensated. I mean even if it is 5.00 a month. You don't know what that could do to motivate a person.

But in reading the comment in the fourm about "selling space behind my head" I commented how I felt. Guess who was the first person to respond? You got it...the former co-worker. He called me and started the conversation just like this "Give me one reason why I shouldn't be pissed at you?" Well of course my mind was like "What are you going to do?" But my mouth said "If you are, so what." Then it took on a life of it's own. He was very defensive over the guy that made the comment. As a matter of fact he let it be known this guy was the top person at B5. I said "So what, he doesn't know me nor has he taken the time to know me!" "Here I am busting mine to make what I do that much more enjoyable but he is the one getting rich off of my work!"

The guy continue to (in his own little way) stress to me I should bow down, be a team player, kiss his ass because he is the top person. I told him "I wrote what I felt and if you don't like it, delete it!" He said he didn't have the power to do it so I told him "Then shut up!" I hung up the phone and then he resorts to emailing me. So I ask myself a question...why is he so hurt by what I wrote? Oh...I get it...he is worried about his image in the eyes of the big guy. So now I am thinking exactly what has he said about me to them. Then I say does it matter, you are still your own man "Make it do, what it do!!!"

The guy then resorts to calling me selfish, careless, and even makes the comment I cut him off. Okay so I gets slightly pissed but thank God for my wife because she would be the first to tell me if I am wrong in this instance. Instaed she simply states "He is just jealous because you have done something he didn't think about first." Look at the comment he wrote...

Sean... With all due respect.... Ok? I'm certainly not taking your thunder and
I'm certainly giving you props. However, there are others who video blog and I
don't think the fact that you started is going to change that much. I think it
rocks that you are but the thing that will bring people to your blog is going to
be the boxing and the wrestling. I don't know that anyone else is doing that.

I think it helps the medium of video blogging to have more people doing it and I
certainly wouldn't feel threatened (or for that sake territorial) if I were you.
You do have my phone number if you want to talk offline about this.


In his own little way here he is trying to strip me. Did I call him? Nope! I have dealt with him in this blogging thing for a long time now and we have different approaches to it. I do what I do and don't worry about what he does. He on the other hand likes to try and make a person cater to his way through his criticisms. Why not just be happy with the effort one shows...is that too much to ask for?

Any way 3 days after and he is still holding on. Other peoples insecurities...doesn't that piss you off? Everything is not for everybody and once those insecured people get that hrough their heads maybe the world will be a better place. Take a look at his sites and tell me what you think. Is he not all over the place? You tell me?

Technosailor
Emerging Earth
The Not so free state
Backstage Pass

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home